Recommended Minutes of Physical Activity for Adults
How many minutes of physical activity do I need every day for good health?
- To take care of your health and reduce the risk of chronic diseases, you need at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity every day.
- To keep your weight under control, you need 60 minutes of moderate- to vigorous-intensity physical activity on most days of the week.
- If you lost weight and want to keep it off, you need 60 to 90 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity every day.
I have children in my family. How many minutes of physical activity do they need every day for good health?
- Children and teenagers need at least 60 minutes of moderate- to vigorous-intensity physical activity every day.
What is moderate-intensity physical activity?
- This level of physical activity gets you up and moving and makes your heart beat faster. Examples include brisk walking, biking, taking the stairs, dancing, and raking leaves.
- A person who is being physically active at a moderate-intensity level should be able to carry on a conversation comfortably with their activity partner.
- If a person is able to sing while being physically active, they are working at a light-intensity level and should raise their intensity.
What is vigorous-intensity physical activity?
- This level of physical activity makes you breathe hard and sweat. Examples include running, jogging, playing soccer, fast dancing, and fast biking.
- A person who is being physically active at a vigorous-intensity level should be able to say a few words, but cannot carry on a conversation.
- If a person is gasping for air or unable to catch their breath during physical activity, they should lower their intensity right away.