Smart Choices on the Go
Eating the recommended amount of fruits and vegetables can be a challenge when you eat away from home. When you eat at a restaurant, here are a few simple tips that will help you enjoy more fruits and vegetables:
- Get off to a good start by ordering a plate of fresh fruit for breakfast.
- Select 100% fruit or vegetable juice.
- Order vegetable soup and a side salad for lunch.
- Order sandwiches or wraps that include several vegetables, such as lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers, chili peppers, cucumbers, or other raw vegetables.
- Select vegetable pizzas for dinner with three or more vegetable toppings, such as bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms.
- Order stir-fry entrées that include a good portion of vegetables.
- Select taco salads with plenty of lettuce, tomatoes, beans, avocado, cabbage, and onion.
- Order steamed or grilled vegetables as a side dish.
- Order fresh fruit for dessert.